Everyone’s foot structure is different. Some people may have a bunion sticking out that prevents them from walking with ease. When that’s the case, relief is needed to curb the discomfort and help them live an active lifestyle.
What are Bunions?
Bunions, or hallux valgus, is a bony bump that forms on the side of your foot at the base of the big toe joint. They are a developmental bone disorder that occurs when your toe’s bone joint moves out of place and is no longer lined up in the proper position.
A bunion can result in your big toe leaning inward and pushing against your other toes, causing the joint to stick even further out from your foot.
In some cases, a bunion can also form at the base of your little toe, though this is rare. When this occurs, it is called a “tailor’s bunion”.
Main Causes for Bunions
Some people have an inherent problem with the bones in their feet due to their genetic bone structure. However, a slight misalignment can get bigger over the course of your life from certain ailments. People who aren’t born with a bunion can develop one from their lifestyle and these general conditions:
- Hypermobility: When your joints are overly flexible and move beyond their normal range of motion.
- Arthritis: Rheumatoid Arthritis is the most common cause.
- Underdeveloped bone structure: When your feet don’t develop properly before birth.
- High Heels: This type of footwear has a narrow toe box and exerts a lot of pressure on the ball of the foot.
- Narrow Footwear: The feet need room to move and splay when walking and standing. Shoes that are too narrow for your feet constrict them.
Symptoms of Bunions
Bunions start out as a bump that forms from the joint sticking out of your foot. Over time, this lump will form its own symptoms:
- Hardened skin
- Reduced range of motion in your big toe joint
In more severe cases:
- Difficulty walking
How to Treat Bunions
Unfortunately, bunions don’t go away on their own. Surgery should be the last and final consideration as they often times are unsuccessful and can lead to the development of other foot conditions. You can, though, prevent bunions from progressing and minimize the discomfort from some basic changes to your footwear and products/methods designed for support and pain relief. Here are a few considerations to stop bunion progression and help you minimize the pain:
- Footwear: Ensure your shoes are wide enough (generally you’ll need a wide-width shoe) and deep enough (extra-depth shoe) to accommodate the bunion.
- Orthotics: Orthotics for arch support in conjunction with some ball of the foot orthotic modifications can help to relieve the pressures exerted.
- Toe Separators: Spacers will stop the big toe from butting against the other toes and hurting them. They can also help with straightening.
- Socks: Seamless socks help to eliminate friction points leading to irritation. Check out the Bunion Relief Sock we offer at Solelytics.
- Compression & Bracing: Graduated compression increases blood flow and reduces pain and swelling. The Forefoot Compression Sleeve and Bunion Bracing Sleeve are great options for you and they’re thin enough to fit under your normal socks and won’t make your shoes any tighter.
- Ice: Cold therapy reduces inflammation
Mobile Custom Orthotic Care in Richmond, VA
When you have a large bunion, it may seem like your days revolve around finding relief to prevent pain in your feet.
No one should be in constant pain from simply walking. Solelytics is a premiere mobile custom orthotic company that provides personalized solutions for those suffering from foot pain. Our comprehensive services include designing an orthotic that fits your foot, bunion and all, and feels comfortable. We will also conduct a footwear analysis to determine what shoes will work best to give you some relief.
The best part: we come to you! As a mobile service, we’ll treat anyone in need of foot care living in Chesterfield, Midlothian, Chester, Colonial Heights and the Greater Richmond area.
If you suffer from foot pain due to bunions, contact Solelytics and see how our custom insoles and orthotics will help you live your best life, pain-free.
Whether you’re a business looking for an Employee Wellness opportunity, an organization looking to address the foot health of your members or an individual with painful foot conditions or wanting to increase comfort/sports performance: We provide top-notch levels of service and serve our clients until they are Highly Satisfied.